I hosted a workshop for African American faith leaders. The workshop, which promotes minority mental health in Wichita, included a review of mental illnesses, resource materials, discussions and the opportunity to participate in research I’m conducting to understand how African Americans seek mental health treatment.
Attendees had the opportunity to share experiences with other clergy on how to counsel and refer, support and integrate those with mental illness, along with their family members, into local faith communities.
NAMI’s Sharing Hope presented local testimonials from an adult living with mental illness, a family member, and a clergy member living with mental illness.
Materials shared with attendees included:
- Mental Health: A guide for Faith Leaders
- Quick Reference on Mental Health for Faith Leaders
- Sharing/Bridges Hope: An African American Guide to Mental Health
- Local NAMI support groups and education programs
- Mental Illness Workshop for African American Faith Leaders Presentation